2015 Honda Pioneer 500
Stock Image: Red
Compact. Fun. Affordable. The All-New Pioneer 500
The Pioneer 500 is a brilliant concept: Like a full-sized side-by-side, it lets you take a passenger along and has the off-road capability to get you where you need to go. But the Pioneer 500 is a new take on the SxS formula: it’s narrow, fits on tight trails, is fun to drive, and easy to load into a full-size truck bed.
But you still get a full-sized list of features, like independent rear suspension, four-wheel drive, and paddle shifting. And that’s just the start. Want to go where no side-by-side can? The new Pioneer 500 can get you there and back again, and you’ll have fun doing it.
Compact, Yet Capable: With the new Honda Pioneer 500, you and a passenger can get there, whether it’s a narrow, 50-inch trail or the remote regions of the ranch. And with our steering-wheel mounted paddle shifters, you'll enjoy the drive.
Powerful 500-Class Engine: Coupled with an efficient five-speed transmission, the Pioneer 500’s engine features electronic fuel injection for effortless cold-weather and high-altitude operation. It’s specially tuned for low-rpm torque, too.
Better, Not Bigger: The Pioneer 500’s overall size and responsive handling make it fun to drive. Best of all, since it’s a Honda it’s also durable, reliable, and offers superior engineering. There’s nothing like it on the trails.
- Narrow Overall Width: This is a huge bonus. Whether it’s for a trail restricted to 50-inch overall width, or the convenience of not having to buy a trailer, the Pioneer 500 can go where just about no other side-by-side can!
- Semi-Dry-Sump Engine: Compact and lighter weight, the Pioneer 500’s overhead-valve, semi-dry-sump design creates an engine that's not only shorter from top to bottom, but one that enhances handling by lowering the center of gravity and increasing ground clearance.
- Longitudinal Engine Mounting: The Pioneer 500 is built around our strong, single-cylinder, 475cc longitudinal engine. By orienting the crankshaft front to back in the chassis, we route the flow of power straight to the wheels without any right-angle detours, reducing powertrain friction and putting more grunt to the ground.
- Liquid Cooling: Our time-tested Honda engine is liquid-cooled, which provides more consistent operating temperatures and more power than a comparable air-cooled motor. This adds up to better performance and longer engine life.
- Closed-Loop Fuel Injection: Better cold-weather and high-altitude running, effortless startups, great fuel efficiency and less pollution—that’s what the Pioneer 500’s “closed loop” fuel-injection system means—a first in the industry.
- Strong Gearbox: Unlike the belt-drive automatics out there, the Pioneer 500 features a transmission that uses rugged, steel gears. You get true compression braking for superior controllability (especially when descending hills), as well as long transmission life.
- TraxLok 4WD: Our rock-solid system lets you choose either 2WD or 4WD, giving you the freedom to choose between lighter steering (in 2WD) and maximizing available traction (in 4WD) when you need it most.
- Open Front Differential: The front differential’s open design makes steering easier and more precise, even in four-wheel drive.
- Fun, Sporty Ride: With 5.9 inches of travel at the front wheels and 5.9 inches of ground clearance, the new Pioneer 500 can negotiate tough trails with ease. And the Pioneer 500’s suspension is tuned for a fun, sporty ride too.
- Paddle Shifter: Upshift and downshift without ever having to take your hands off the wheel. You get to choose the exact gear you want for challenging terrain, and it’s engineered for precise, smooth shifts.
- Independent Rear Suspension (IRS): The Pioneer 500’s fully independent rear suspension means you get a smooth ride and great traction, especially over rough terrain.
- Locked Rear Axle: With the IRS rear end and a locked-axle design, the Pioneer 500 gives you great traction and a smooth ride.
- 1000-Pound Towing Capacity: The Pioneer 500 has a heavy-duty receiver-style hitch and 1000-pound towing capacity.
- Side-By-Side Seating: With a comfortable bench-style seat, individual backrests and seatbelts for both rider and passenger, the Pioneer 500 offers side-by-side comfort and excellent maneuverability.
- Single Operation Door/Net: The Pioneer 500 comes standard with doors, and the occupant net is directly attached—just unlock and open the door, and the net automatically swings aside making entry and exit easier.
- All-new Rear Carrier Design: With the unique steel rear carrier design, the Pioneer 500 gives you tremendous versatility when it comes to securing loads. Special tiedown-hook securing points make it even easier. And the rack’s 450-pound rating gives you plenty of carrying capacity, too.
- Engine Type: 475cc liquid cooled single cylinder four-stroke
- Bore And Stroke: 92.0 mm x 71.5 mm
- Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
- Induction: Electronic fuel injection (PGM-FI), 36 mm throttle body
- Ignition: Full-transistorized type with electronic advance
- Clutch: Automatic
- Transmission: Electric-shift five-speed with reverse (First gear is L = LOW)
- Driveline: Direct front and rear driveshafts
- Front Suspension: Independent double-wishbone; 5.9 in. travel
- Rear Suspension: Independent double-wishbone with preload adjustablility; 5.9 in. travel
- Front Brake: Dual hydraulic 190 mm discs
- Rear Brake: 200 mm hydraulic disc
- Front Tires: 24 x 8-12
- Rear Tires: 24 x 10-12
- Length: 102.5 in.
- Width: 50.0 in.
- Height: 72.4 in.
- Wheelbase: 73.1 in.
- Towing Capacity: 1000 lb.
- Ground Clearance: 9.6 in.
- Turning Radius: 12.8 ft.
- Curb Weight: 1010 lb. - Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel.
- Fuel Capacity: 4.1 gal., including 1.1-gal. reserve
- Available Colors: Red, Olive, Yellow
- Model Id: SXS500M2F
- Engine Type
- Single cylinder four-stroke
- 475 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 92.0 mm x 71.5 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Electronic fuel injection (PGM-FI), 36 mm throttle body
- Full-transistorized type with electronic advance
- Front Suspension
- Independent double-wishbone
- Front Brakes
- Dual hydraulic 190 mm discs
- Front Tire
- 24 x 8-12
- Rear Suspension
- Independent double-wishbone with preload adjustablility
- Rear Brakes
- 200 mm hydraulic disc
- Rear Tire
- 24 x 10-12
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 1010 lb.
- 73.1 in.
- Front Travel
- 5.9 in.
- Rear Travel
- 5.9 in.
- Ground Clearance
- 9.6 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.1 gal.
- Towing Capacity
- 1000 lb.
- Electric-shift five-speed with reverse (First gear is L = LOW)
- Drive System
- Direct front and rear driveshafts
- Red, Olive, Yellow